Picture this: You are outside in your backyard enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. Suddenly the sky becomes dark and gloomy. It begins to hail and the tornado sirens go off. Do you know what to do?
Tornadoes can strike anywhere, at any time, and the best time to get ready is before the weather turns bad.
Here are the top 6 ways to prepare for a tornado:
- Know your community’s warning system. Communities have different ways of warning residents about tornados.
- Practice tornado drills from time to time so that everyone knows what to do if a tornado were to strike.
- Pick a safe room in your home such as a basement where everyone can go during a tornado.
- Prepare for high winds by removing damaged limbs from trees.
- Move or secure lawn furniture, trash cans, hanging plants or anything else that can be picked up by the wind .
- Download our FREE tornado app.
To learn (MORE) about tornado safety, click here.