Being Red Cross Ready means having a checklist in place for responding to disasters. We suggest that you get a kit, make a plan, and be informed. Disasters strike so suddenly that it leaves little time to gather the necessities needed in case of an emergency – this is where the disaster kit comes in handy. It contains a 3-day supply of food and materials to ensure you and your loved ones are prepared for a disaster. You can build your own or purchase the regular or deluxe versions we have available at our American Red Cross store.
If you’re choosing to build your own, here are the items we suggest you include in your kit:
- 1 gallon of water, per person, per day; 3-day supply of non-perishable food, per person
- Flashlight, extra batteries; cell phones with chargers
- Medical Items; copies of personal documents; emergency blankets
- Maps of the area; battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Family and emergency contact information
Remember to check your disaster kit every six months to replace expired items and also to keep your furry friends in mind with their own disaster kit. Visit our Be Red Cross Ready website for all the details and download our mobile apps for information on how to respond to disasters.