Not sure about all of you, but we just went outside and brrrrr – it’s still cold! The next couple of days may bring equally cold conditions, so we want to make sure you’re prepared.
- Dress in layers to stay warm and retain heat.
This one seems pretty straightforward, but do not underestimate how cold it is outside and the impact of wind chill.
- Download the Red Cross First Aid App/Pet First Aid App
- If you leave your home and seek shelter elsewhere due to cold weather, bring the following with you:
- medications you take on a regular basis,
- medical equipment
- important documents
- warm clothes – enough for multiple layers
- bedding (blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc.)
- important contact information
- cell phones and chargers (No one likes getting that low-battery beep)
- If you leave your home, bring your pet with you and remember to bring their essentials like: water, food, medicine, collar/leash, I.D., hard-sided carrier, and vaccination records.
- If you stay home, bring your pets inside or make sure that they can stay warm and have access to fresh water and food.
- Follow recommendations and guidelines provided by your local emergency management agency, community organizations and other applicable service providers.