♪ O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Red Cross val-ues your safe-ty!
You need wa-ter in your sturdy stand,
You prefer to wear heal-thy light strands.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Red Cross val-ues your safe-ty! ♪
Did you finish dressing your Christmas tree yet!? Is that ornament from the 3rd grade prominently on display? What about presents? All wrapped and placed?
We want to help you keep those memories (both under and on the tree) safe and sound through the holidays and beyond by following these simple tips:
- Choose decorations that are flame-resistant/retardant or non-combustible.
- Test smoke alarms and replace batteries if necessary.
- Replace light strings with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Be aware that some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Limit the number of connected light strands to three and the total number of bulbs to 50.
- Secure your tree in a sturdy stand and away from heat sources and exits.
- If you have a fresh tree, don’t forget to water it daily.
- If you purchase an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire-retardant.
Let’s make sure the only place you see fire is in the fireplace or on one of those really cool DVDs. Stay safe, please! ❤