Whether you’re barbecuing, swimming, lighting sparklers, watching a fireworks show, or just hanging out with a few family and friends, we want to wish a very safe and fantastic holiday weekend. Being safe and responsible this 4th is vital to everyone around you, and we want to make sure you and your family and friends know how to stay happy and healthy.
1. Sun protection
Wear that sunscreen, folks! Use sunglasses, drink water, and use more sunscreen when you’re out and about.
When setting fireworks off at home, or even just lighting sparklers follow these tips :
- Never give fireworks to small children and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures, or flammable materials.
3. For the Grill Master
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill indoors – not in your house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
4. Swim Time!
- Obey all instructions and orders from lifeguards.
- Keep alert for local weather conditions right now. We are in severe weather season!
- Swim sober and always swim with a buddy.
- Sport a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Keep a close eye and constant attention on kids and adults while at the beach.
5. Download our FREE First Aid Safety app!
Available on all Apple and Android devices, and it will help you prepare and respond to all kinds of emergencies – bug bites, ladder falls, grill flare up, sunburns, and more. While you’re at it, take one of our First Aid/CPR/AED courses.
Don’t be afraid to call 9-1-1 when necessary. It may be a holiday weekend, but accidents still happen. Firefighters and policemen are ready to respond!